Thank you for your interest in getting involved with STC. Our dedicated volunteers play an essential role in the daily operations of our theatre. Would you like to join us?
To become an usher at STC:
- STEP ONE: Please read the Expectations of Being an Usher below and then email Usher@ShakespeareTheatre.org with the following information:
- Your full name, address, email, phone number and confirmation that you are over the age of 18.
- Do you have previous ushering experience (not required)
- STEP TWO: Attend an orientation tour of Harman Hall and the Klein Theatre.
- STEP THREE: Complete a trial ushering assignment.
STC will then notify you of your acceptance.
QUESTIONS? Please email us.
Expectations of Ushers
- You must be at least 18 years old to volunteer.
- Usher our mainstage shows
- Represent STC in a positive manner
- Make a commitment to fulfill your duties as assigned
- Arrive 90 minutes prior to the performance
- Provide at least 24-hour notice if you need to cancel your ushering assignment
- Have a working email address that can be used for usher-related correspondence
- Be able to stand for up to one hour
- Adhere to the instructions of the House Managers at all times
- Adhere to the Usher Dress Code (business casual) including appropriate footwear
- Return to your assigned station for all of intermission
- No food or drink may be consumed once the lobbies open to the public
- Seeing the performance you usher for (we cannot guarantee that you will be seated)
- 10% off tuition for STC Classes
- 10% off merchandise at the gift shop
- Complimentary coffee or tea during each STC main stage production you work
- The opportunity to usher at booked in events (private events, The Washington Ballet, Washington Performing Arts Society, etc.)
FAQs About Ushering
Q: Something has come up and I can’t usher as scheduled. What is the best way to get in touch with House Management?
A: Please email us. If a last minute cancellation is needed you may be able to reach the Box Office at 202.547.1122 to leave a message if available. NOTE: Messages left on this line may not be checked until the next day, so email is the best way to get in touch.
NOTE: if you miss more than two ushering dates without providing 24 hours notice you will be removed from the usher list.
Q: When I usher, am I guaranteed a seat for the performance?
A: We make every effort to seat our ushers; however, during sold-out performances, it may not be possible and you may need to watch the performance from a lobby monitor. Please note that you are expected to stay for the entire performance to fulfill your usher duties even if you are not seated.
Q: What is the dress code for ushers?
A: Dress code for ushers is business casual attire, which means dress slacks, a skirt or dress for women, and dress slacks and a button-down shirt or sweater for men. We do not require black and white clothing, although it is acceptable. Please note that the following attire is prohibited for ushers:
- Any clothing with slogans or logos
- Sneakers/tennis shoes/open toe shoes/snow boots
- Athletic attire (including yoga wear)
Thank you for representing STC when you usher. If you are dressed inappropriately, you may be asked by House Management to leave.
Q: What should I do when I arrive at the theatre to usher?
A: If you are ushering at the Klein Theatre, please wait in the Rotunda Lobby until House Management opens the doors. Please do not approach the Box Office unless purchasing tickets.
If you are ushering at Sidney Harman Hall, you may enter the main lobby and check in at the reception desk then go up to the mezzanine lobby.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
STC needs help from volunteers for a variety of tasks and events in every area of the theatre. Instead of a weekly time commitment, STC Volunteers are called on for help with special projects and events throughout the year as they are scheduled. This ensures STC can have reliable help when we need it most and allows volunteers to work when it is most convenient for them.
What do volunteers do at STC?
- Provide administrative assistance in our development, marketing, and finance departments, including invitation and solicitation mailings and filing projects
- Staff tables at community festivals, promoting STC programming and sharing knowledge about the theatre
- Assist with Free for All, our annual presentation of free Shakespeare performances
- Lend a hand at STC special events, such as open rehearsals
To become part of our company of volunteers, please fill out this application.
Or you can submit an application online:
The Young Professionals Consortium
If you join the YPC, you will join a community of theatre-lovers who are excited to make theatre more central to younger audiences. If you love attending shows and you believe, as STC does, that everyone—especially young professionals—should learn about and experience the joy of live theatre, then the YPC is for you. As a YPC member you also get the opportunity to plan and enjoy behind-the-scenes backstage tours of STC productions, pre-show discussions and panels, wine tastings, open rehearsals, trivia nights and more!
Learn more about the Young Professionals Consortium
I’m still in school – can I volunteer?
Absolutely! We love to have help from students. Submit your information and we’ll put you on the list for volunteer calls.
Can I volunteer with STC for a service project or short-term work experience?
Most likely, no. Because we do not use volunteers weekly, we usually cannot offer enough hours to fulfill your requirement. It is also hard to predict the timing of events or projects needing volunteers, so it would be hard to know whether we can offer enough hours by your deadline.
Can I volunteer backstage, with the production crew or in the scene/costume shops?
Our insurance only covers paid employees, so we cannot allow volunteers to assist in production areas.
Do volunteers receive any benefits from STC?
Yes! All volunteers can get 10% off tuition for STC Classes and 10% off merchandise at the gift shop.
I’m only available at night or on weekends. Can I volunteer?
Yes! Events where we need assistance are frequently scheduled on nights and weekends. You can also consider volunteering as an usher – shows are scheduled throughout the week in the evening and on weekend afternoons.